| Search in Employment Opportunities|
List All in Employment Opportunities
Post New in Employment Opportunities
Communications Associate |
ORGANIZATION HISTORY AND IMPACT:
YWCA USA is on a mission to eliminate racism, empower women, stand up for social justice, help families, and strengthen communities. We are one of the oldest and largest women's organizations in the nation, serving over 2 million women, girls, and their families.
YWCA has been at the forefront of the most pressing social movements 160 years — from voting rights to civil rights, from affordable housing to pay equity, from violence prevention to health care reform. Today, we combine programming and advocacy in order to generate institutional change in three key areas: racial justice and civil rights, empowerment and economic advancement of women and girls, and health and safety of women and girls.
Working closely with the Director of Communications and Marketing and the Digital Communications Coordinator, the Communications Associate will:
• Provide writing, proofreading and marketing assistance for all communications, including e-newsletters, web copy, press materials, fact sheets and blogs
• Maintain and update the YWCA website and campaign sites with current information and visuals
• Assist the Digital Communications Coordinator with social media drafting and scheduling
• Become an expert in YWCA brand compliance and help apply the brand across all communications, including supporting YWCA associations
• Manage the editorial calendar
• Provide communications support to national campaigns, advocacy actions and fundraising efforts
• Work cross-departmentally to identify the latest research, stories and current events for inclusion in op-eds, CEO speeches and other public facing materials
• News monitoring including tracking YWCA press hits and stories related to YWCA’s policy priorities and mission
• Manage the communications department inbox and ensure stakeholders receive timely replies from the appropriate staff
• Assist with the planning and execution of events including YWCA’s national conference, gala, Capitol Hill briefings and receptions
• Process requests for printed materials
• Other duties as assigned by the director of marketing and communications
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant communications or social science field
• 1-2 years of work experience, preferably in a communications role and/or in a nonprofit setting
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
• Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
• Proven track record of superior attention to detail, organizational skills and follow through on long term projects
• Experience working on issues of gender and racial justice preferred
• Graphic design, photography and other visual arts skills preferred
The communications associate should be a dynamic team member who feels a personal connection to YWCA’s mission and is passionate about both racial justice and gender justice work. They must be flexible and able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment that changes day by day. The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal communications skills, a great sense of humor and can act effectively as a collaborative team player.
Women of color strongly encouraged to apply.
|Washington, DC 20036 US