Are you looking to make a meaningful gift this holiday season? Check our Holiday Wish List.
The YWCA accepts gifts in-kind, such as supplies for Mary Lou's Place (our domestic violence shelter for women and their children), computer equipment and office supplies.
Mary Lou’s Place is fortunate to be the recipient of many generous in-kind gifts, and we are always grateful for donations of the items listed below. Please note that there are items we cannot accept and BEFORE YOU BRING ANY ITEMS INTO OUR OFFICES FOR DONATION, contact Wendy Dickson at 847-864-8445 .
Used clothing may be dropped off at the drop box in our parking lot or at one of the other YWCA drop boxes in the area.
- full-sized toiletries
- sanitary napkins
- new sweatshirts and sweatpants for women (all sizes, S-XXXL)
- new socks and underwear for women and children
- new or very gently used infant clothing
- disposable diapers (especially larger sizes)
- baby wipes
- day planners and journals
- unopened over the counter medications for adults and children
- gift cards to stores (Jewel, Walgreens, Target)
- towels & washcloths, new or gently used
- twin-sized bedding, new or gently used
- acrylic or plastic drinking glasses (non-disposable)
- laundry detergent
- dishwashing liquid
- napkins, paper towels plastic plates, bowls
- facial tissue (i.e., Kleenex)
- cleaning supplies, bleach, disinfectant
- allergy covers for twin size beds
- alarm clocks with batteries
- kitchen pots and pans in good condition
- CTA bus passes –transportation assistance for clients looking for housing, going on job interviews, seeking day care, pursuing legal issues, etc.
We cannot accept every donation. Upon occasion, it might be necessary for our staff to help you redirect your donation to other organizations where it can be put to better use.
We cannot accept the following items:
The YWCA Evanston/North Shore does not have the space or manpower to process and store donations of used clothing. We ask that donations of used clothing be made in one of the following two ways:
YWCA drop boxes in Evanston and Skokie, including the box just outside the entrance to our administrative offices at 1215 Church Street in Evanston (additional drop box locations are listed below). Proceeds from the sale of clothing left in local YWCA drop boxes help support our domestic violence services program.
If you would like your clothing donation to more directly benefit the families we serve, please donate it to the Junior League Thrift House at 920 Chicago Avenue in Evanston. Women staying at Mary Lou's Place are issued vouchers that may be used to shop at the Thrift House.
used toys and stuffed animals
Through community organized toy drives and private donations, we are fortunate to be able to provide the children at Mary Lou’s Place with new toys. The dust and allergens carried in used stuffed animals pose a health risk to an allergic child.
home baked goods and home made meals
We love home made food as much as anyone, but unfortunately, health codes dictate that the shelter can not accept home made food of any kind.
Rooms at Mary Lou’s Place are each "adopted" by a community group or family that sees to its refurbishment and upkeep for a two year period. We do not therefore have an ongoing need for furniture nor do we have the capability of storing this type of donation.
sample size toiletries
The families that stay at Mary Lou’s Place do so for up to 90 days, so sample sized toiletries do not meet their needs. We ask that donated toiletries be full size.
Again, we are deeply grateful for the generosity of our donors, even if we occasionally have to say "no thank you". We appreciate your understanding.
YWCA drop box locations (for used clothing only):
- YWCA Evanston/North Shore, 1215 Church St., Evanston
- Bryan’s Garage 2829 Central St., Evanston
- Schwartzenhoff Cleaners, 600 Oakton, Evanston
- Marshalls, 2410 Main St., Evanston
- Evanston Citgo, 2828 Gross Point Road, Evanston
- 7 Eleven, 847 Dodge, Evanston
- Melzer School, 9400 N. Oriole, Morton Grove
Other organizations able to receive your donations:
Junior League Thrift House
920 Chicago Ave.
Open M-F 11-5 pm; Sat 10-5 pm
Will accept used clothing, toys, small house wares and small furniture. All donations must be in working, clean, "saleable" condition.
The Salvation Army
To arrange a pick-up of larger items, call before 4 pm, M-F
Donaciones: Usualmente, mujeres y niño/as llegan a nuestro albergue con solo la ropa que tienen puesta. Llame a nuestra Coordinadora de Voluntarios al 847-864-8445.
For more information about donating items on our Wish Lists, please contact Wendy Dickson, Director of Domestic Violence Services, at 847-864-8445.
If you have something you would like to donate, please contact Patty Acosta at the YWCA Evanston/North Shore at 847-864-8445. Patty will be able to offer direction on what needs are greatest at any given time.